2012-03-20 21:11:24 Posted by RetroZelda

Dungeon Monster Descent

Update [Feb/15/2012]: New installer created that includes a more optimised build, bug fixes, and wii motion plus support! Although the wii motion plus's status text is ugly, check it out! Note: Some browser's malware detector comes up with a false positive for the installer. Dont worry, it is safe! Original: The six-named game is here! Hack and slash your way through 5 mind boggling levels as you collect potions and 8 unique spells to hunt down and defeat the evil Vurithra! Six names? Yes, "e;Dungeon"e;, "e;Monster"e;, and "e;Descent"e; in any order can be a title of our game, and because we never could decide what order the words should be, the game randomly generates the name and changed the save folder to fit. This was a laughable decision at first, but it is mine and the rest of my groups heart, buried deep within the code. Yes, this is my SGP project and it is AWESOME! Originally, this game was just an idea that I had pulled out of my ass in ROG because the group that I was assigned to were all really quiet(including me), so naturally, I pulled an idea out my ass, and the other group members expanded upon it and at the end of ROG, we had a [terrible] prototype for this game. Imagine Candyland, sweet and sugary and happy with many many different colors. Now take out anything that isn't square and make them square. Now get rid of all colors and make every landscape black and every object red. That was our prototype, an ugly boring version of Candyland. But going into SGP, Ceub had picked up another member, who is very troll-able i should add, and together we added the sugar to our game during the first month. Going into the second month, we had belly aches from just eating the sugar that we knew that we needed the bright colors and the loving characters of Candyland(excluding Plumpy; the bane of Candyland), so we then each made our own levels, with traps and enemies to compliment those levels. Plumpy kept showing up to ruin some things. We would get heap corruptions here, and memory leaks there, and even random crashes when running in release-mode. It was a struggle, but we took care of Plumpy... for the time being. Towards the end of the month, we traded off our Prize game to get debugged by another team. Plumpy was back, but this time, in mere bugs. Squashing these bugs was a piece of cake, and when the time came to have the SGP expo, everything was squashed except for a few bugs. Although we had those few bugs left in the game when we presented the game, we felt an accomplishment that wasn't anything that could have been felt. Dungeon Monster Descent was finished, and people loved it. It was challenging and exciting to watch people fail. Many people had played the game, but only a select few had beaten a level, with only one guy beating more than 1 and getting almost all the spells! This project that you should really download and try really taught me quite a lot. I think that the process of developing a game for the first time is the best way of improving your programming skills, as well as having hardships, laughter, tangents, as well as successes and failures on the way. And no matter how many times you play the classic board game Candyland, there will always be that Plumpy card, taunting you from the depths of the deck and only showing himself at the worst possible times.